Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tips for a work day!

Hey guys! So I've started work. Ok so I started 3 weeks ago, but I'm still getting the hang of things and learning new things every day. Since I started, I realized I had to change up my makeup routine here and there to make sure it lasts 12 hours and that it's appropriate for work. These are some tips I think might help you guys along the way :)

Facial blotters

There's no magic foundation that can keep your face matte the whole day, no matter what the company claims it can do. The only way is to blot. I've heard people say that if you blot a lot, your face will produce more oil to counter the dryness you get after you've used a blotter, but it doesn't seem to affect me that much. If you're concerned about that, use a tissue instead.

I use the Fasio oil blotters which you can get from any Watsons store. The Muji ones are good too. I don't like powdered ones cause they really make you look powdery after you have blotted. The Face Shop ones are powdered.

Powder foundation
I bought the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 in Natural Beige a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It gives a really nice finish when you've just used it and as the oils break through throughout the day, it looks dewy and glowly. Some of you may find it makes your skin more oily than a usual powder foundation would, so you might want to test it out first before you buy it. I use this in place of a liquid cause it's just much faster to work with in the morning and you don't need to think about it so much.

It works best with a MAC 109 brush, or any dense flat top brush. Buff it into your skin in circular motions. Powder foundation is also more forgiving when it comes to colours compared to liquid or cream foundations so if you're buying a foundation online and you're not sure of the colour, it's safer to get a powder than a liquid or cream. I still strongly recommend you know your colour first before buying it online cause there's nothing worse than a foundation that doesn't match your skin colour.

Bourjois Blush
I bought this at Robinsons last week (they are having a 20% storewide sale so get your bums there now!!) and I'm loving it. I bought mine in 74 Amber Rose (i think) which was the only matte colour I saw. The rest have a sheen to it and I personally prefer matte blushes for long wear because they don't contribute to your face looking oily through the day. It's been really good so far and lasts till the end of the day.

And it smells really nice! Kinda like a rosy, fruity scent. I use this with a MAC 168 brush and not so much on the apples of my cheeks but in a more contouring way upwards towards my temples. I use a powder highlighter on the top of that and i'm good to go.

Blot Powder
I touch up with MAC's blot powder in Medium at the end of the day if I'm going out. I don't reach for anything heavier because once the oils have set in on your face throughout the day, packing on something heavy is going to make it look super powdery. It comes which a powder puff thingy which is good enough.

Urban Decay Naked Palette
I reach for my UD Naked Palette almost everyday. It's got a whole load of nude colours that are great for work and I tend to use the black shade, or MAC's Carbon eyeshadow as an eyeliner instead of a gel or pencil. It stays better and it gives a softer more wearable work look. I usually use MAC's Groundwork paintpot first and then use any of the colours in the palette over that. If you wanna jazz things up a little, use different colours on different parts of your eyes. I usually reach for a lighter shade for the inner part of my eyelids and smudge a darker shade into the outer part. Top it off with a liner and you're good to go!

Lip Balm
Because I'm in an air conditioned room for so long, my lips tend to get really dry. I switched up to this Nivea Essential Care lip balm and it's great! It's cheap and you can get it from any drug store, and it really moisturizes. It doesn't have any colour in it so I use it before lipstick.

Cotton Swabs
Trust me, at the end of the day, when your mascara has smudged (which is shouldn't) and you get build up in the corners of your eyes, this is a miracle worker. If your lips peel, you can dip this in a little bit of lip balm and swipe it gently over your lips. It'll take the dry skin off.

K that's all I have for today. Till the next post!

Love, Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment