Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sesame Biscuits


I wanted to call these sesame cookies but the word 'cookies' just sounds too ang-moh for them. Some how biscuits suit them better no? Anyway, my exams are around the corner so I've been off baking recently cause of my schedule. I did however manage to squeeze in some time for these lovelies.


Not that they took up much time anyway. To be honest I sort of baked them on a whim. I just used whatever ingredients I had on hand. Surprisingly, they actually turned out pretty good. The sesame taste isn't overpowering at all. I ran out of brown sugar so I used muscovado instead. For those of you guys who don't know what muscovado sugar is, basically, its a very very dark type of sugar, bordering on bittersweet. Its pretty moist so don't use too much of it or you'll end up over-browning your cookies. I've tried using it to bake a carrot cake once and the whole thing came out a big brown mess (although it tasted amazing ha). But if used in moderation with white sugar, it does work out fine so don't worry.

Anyway, here's the recipe I came up with:

Ingredients 


125g unsalted butter, room temperature
125g white sugar
2 tbsp muscovado sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self-raising flour
25g black sesame seeds (or more if you like)

Cream butter, sugars and salt until smooth. Add in the egg and almond extract blend until well incorporated. Sift in the flour 1/2 a cup at a time. Fold until batter is smooth. Add in the black sesame seeds and fold again until seeds are evenly distributed throughout the batter. Cover and chill the batter in the fridge for one hour.


Heat oven up to 180 degrees Celsius. Position rack in the middle. From but the teaspoon onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 17 mins until top is golden. Remove and cool before eating/storing.

Enjoy!
Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment